Fresh Spring Rolls
- 12 (8-inch) rice paper wrappers or rice paper spring roll wrappers
- 1 small head of lettuce
- 1/2 lb. (227 g) cooked meat or shrimp, sliced thin
- 8 oz. (227 g) package dried rice vermicelli noodles cooked to package instructions
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into thin strips
- Fresh herbs: mint, Asian basil, coriander, or cilantro
1. Cook the dried rice vermicelli noodles to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
3. Add warm water to a large bowl. Quickly dip each rice paper wrapper in warm water for a few seconds and lay on rolling surface such as a cutting board or plate (they will still be slightly stiff).
4. On the 1/3 section of the rice paper wrapper closest to you, start layering your fillings. Lay your lettuce first on the softened spring roll wrapper, then the veggies & herbs, meat, and the noodles.
5. Start rolling the wrapper over the fillings away from you, tucking and rolling the wrapper with your fingers, making sure all the fillings remain tight and round within the rice paper wrapper.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fish sauce
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) fresh lime juice, or to personal taste
- 3 large garlic cloves (mashed or minced)
- 1-2 (1) fresh Thai Chiles, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) crushed fresh ginger root (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients (fish sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, Chiles, and optional ginger) in a bowl and stir.